Books.

I sometimes think about how weird it is that I've missed reading, but it isn't, really. Until recently I hadn't picked up a book in ages, and hadn't finished one in far, far longer. As a card-carrying bookworm, it should come as no surprise that I missed books like one misses a limb. (or maybe just a finger or two.)

During high school there was no shortage of reading, obviously, what with textbooks and paper-writing (when I actually engaged in such things). Also taking English taught me a lot about how to get more out of  "literature" by forcing it down my throat, so maybe that's why I barely noticed the absence of book stacks and staggering library fines. Putting a book in front of me would simply have been like chucking Evian at a drowning woman. 

Now, though, that I'm without the constant stimuli of school, the lack of books is thrown into sharp relief. There's only so much internet I care to see, and only so much Jersey Shore one person can watch before the real world becomes kind of tedious. (I mean, really. Who keeps thinking it's a good idea to bring in Angelina?! Fools.) Soon I'll get another job and finish my goddamnfuckingmath coursework and lack the time/energy to read, so I'm doing it now. This part of my life is the sweet spot for book-devouring in a recreational manner. 

I'm reading every YA book I can lay hands on, tearing through them while they're still relevant. Or at least before I turn 18 and become a legit adult who is no longer really allowed to read fun teen books and must move into the uncharted and potentially boring waters of adult books.

May as well admit right now that I love teen books. A lot. Yes, there are some godawful ones that I wouldn't force on an illiterate donkey, but there are some that are really good. I like to read about kids looking for something and figuring things out. They're relatable, and nobody tries to tell me about the difficulties of being an accountant. Also it doesn't hurt that 90% of the heroes are of the perfect attractive-to-wounded ratio.

For those uninitiated, the Golden Ratio of Heroes is a theoretical ratio I have proposed to explain why every male lead seems to be, at root, the same. From my observation, it looks like the ideal (at least if he is to be in any way romantic) male  lead must hit a perfect balance of wounded by his traumatic past, and determined to be a good person despite it. Of course in movies and tv this is accompanied by being physically quite attractive.

For example: I just now finished The Outsiders which is genuinely good, but clearly written by a teenage girl similar to myself. Pretty much every character is an example of the ratio, which is bit much. I mean, I appreciate the themes and everything, but she lays it on a bit thick at times. maybe S.E. Hinton just has more of a flair for drama than I. Or it could be that Ponyboy is the one with a dramatic edge, and the author is just really skilled at bringing that out in his narration? I dunno. I shouldn't review books.
(OH HEY LISA, GUESS WHO IS IN THE MOVIE VERSION? THAT'S RIGHT. FUCKIN' SWAYZE. WE'RE WATCHING IT.)
Unrelated: How the hell has everyone in the world read this except me? Seriously, it's like I'm the only person on Earth who didn't know Ponyboy was a name. 

A thought just occurred to me. What if the ratio is not a real thing? What if it's just what I consistently fall for? But if that were true, why is the ratio SO PREVALENT?! 
If anyone has thoughts, please share. 
If anyone needs to contact me, I'll be reading... I dunno. Judy Blume or some shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment