The Badass Playlist: Santa Monica

Full disclosure: This was not technically on the original playlist, but it's been stuck in my head so I'm sharing it. Sometimes it comes on the radio and I'm struck by a strong urge to sing along loudly. Sadly I know only  3% of the words, so I looked it up!
Turns out it 100% goes with the 90's nostalgia I have no right to be feeling. Mmm, plaid..
Nostalgia for the 90s is kind of the same as nostalgia for the 70s in my mind. I'm sure the 60s and 80s were amazing and blah blah with the drugs and polyester and stuff, but there's something about the 90s and 70s that strikes me as kind of gritty and genuine and stripped-down, which I prefer. (Obviously both decades have their sparkly side, what with disco and boy bands, but ultimately what people remember is Zeppelin and Nirvana. Long-haired, denim-wearing rockers.)
Everclear was pretty popular, and I think fairly mainstream on rock radio, but the nice thing about good rock is it's immunity to being spoiled by exposure.
Anyway, here it is. Crank it if possible. 1995 misses you.

No comments:

Post a Comment