The Badass Playlist: Whipping Post

Since this summer, I've been having a southern rock phase.
Actually, that shot needs to be capitalized.
SOUTHERN ROCK.  Specifically the anthem-like ones.


As shameful as it may be to admit, I wasn't really all that familiar with The Allman Brothers Band until earlier this year. I downloaded a list of Rolling Stone's 500 best songs of all time or whatever, and when this song cropped up and I heard it for the first time... holy fucking hell.
It was everything a first love is supposed to be. Fireworks, goosebumps, the works. I pretty much passed out. That moment will forever be branded on my memory. (The last time I got so excited by a song on the first listen was Voodoo Chile. The long, crazy-amazing bluesy one. )

The vocals, the guitar, the organ, every single element of this song works for me. It puts me in a smoky dive bar, surrounded by beardy dudes in plaid who are not hipsters. It reminds me of cold beer and hot summer and the best possible kind of heartbreak.

I must accumulate all the available music by this band just to pay respect to the creators of this song.

Is that overstating things, perhaps?

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS MY FAVORIT SONG EVER!!!!! I'M SO GLAD YOU DISCOVERED AND RECOGNIZED ITS GREATNESS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totts a Dad pic . I think he played this to me in the cradle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you come home, we will bond over it at length.

    ReplyDelete