Umwhat?

Today, I went to the library. I left with one book, and without 30 of the dollars I had previously possessed. How do people accumulate such fines? It's something of an art. A perfect storm of laziness, absence of memory, and procrastination, in my experience.

After being lightly scolded by an unusually kind librarian, I went to pick up some milk for my parents at Superstore, which was closing in 15 minutes. Being the badass I am, I had completed my task in 4 minutes flat. Being the ridiculously polite person I am, I ended up spending LITERALLY HOURS talking to the welcome guy at the front gate.
HOURS.
MORE THAN ONE HOUR.
PLURAL.

Don't get me wrong, he seems to be a lovely man. He seems to be somewhere between 25 and 30-something, extremely polite and very easy to talk to (evidently), but is two hours not an excessive amount of time to spend talking to a stranger? 

Something about the encounter made me slightly uncomfortable. Not the man himself, mind you, just the whole situation. Talking to a strange man who is not my age in a parking lot of a closed grocery store at night? HORRIBLE PLAN. Anyone will tell you that! Every time I reminded myself of this, however, the conversation turned to something interesting like the difference between Quebec French and what he called "true" French, or the challenges of being a black French man (which he is) and I lost track of time again.

He asked me out, kind of? I thought he may have been? He said "May I ask you away from here?" which is kind of vague.
I told him how old I am and said no.
He laughed, and said that was okay, he hoped to be my friend.
I was noncommittal. 

So, on one hand: Kind of sketchy in terms of appropriateness. 
On the other hand: He seemed to just genuinely like talking to me, and be in search of some help with his English.


How can a seventeen year old girl be "friends" with a 30-something French dude?
Is that weird? I feel like it's weird. 
Is it inappropriate for him to be asking me for  my phone number? (I declined.) I feel like it is.

I can see hanging out with him a few times, but ... we seem to be in such different demographics that a long term friendship of any sort isn't really feasible.  

This time of life is an awkward phase. I'm done high school, but I'm still wearing braces. I'll be able to vote soon, but I live at home with my parents and plan to until after university. I'm a kid who knows nothing about the adult world, suddenly thrown into it headfirst, greeted by a tall French guy whose second job is smiling at people as they come in to grocery shop.

Seriously world, wtf.




No comments:

Post a Comment